Friday, May 4, 2018

for sale:....

... but not having a whole lotta luck with that! I have been optimistically hoping to find a buyer for my auntie's car, that she will not ever be driving again. Maybe a little inappropriate when you think it is an effort to settle her estate while she is still kicking, but with something that will age poorly, I feel like the sooner it has a new owner, the better. It's not that old, and has been well cared for, with low mileage and a good service record.

I even checked to see if there is a history of body work, and found nothing. Which was quite surprising, as I know she has not had the best ever driving history, and even though she claimed to have been taught to drive by her brother-in-law (my dad), she was a terrible driver. I've been in the car with her often enough to observe her methods, and soon concluded that I should always be the driver, and let her just enjoy the ride - in an effort to keep my safety and sanity intact!

A friend made the trip to south GA with me about a month ago to bring the little Toyota back so I could park it on the street and try to find a buyer. With a' for sale' sign in the window, in front of my house on a busy street, I was hopeful that someone would call. I did get lots of messages from people expressing interest, but when they heard the price that was it. Few were interested enough to come and drive and think it the perfect addition to their family fleet. Two people did come to test drive, there were no buyers. Plan B: take it into town, to sit out on the curb  in front of an office on an even busier street, with my number in the window. Thus far,  plan B has been even less successful!

I have had two calls in recent days, making me a bit more optimistic. One was from someone who was to meet me late yesterday. She did not show up, so I left after fifteen minutes - only to have her call me when I was nearly home. We will try again today. She wanted her teenager to drive it. The other call is for a dad who has a sixteen year old he might want to get it for. I will meet him today as well.

I feel a sense of urgency about finding a buyer as I know the longer it sits, the older it gets (and the less value it has on the market) I have never had any problems with the two Toyota cars I have owned, and feel like it is a good little vehicle, would be great for a teenager to putz around in as they get excellent mileage. Just need to find the person who is willing to pay what I believe it is worth, according to the Blue Book. There is a concern about negotiations on the price as I will have to answer to probate if the court does not feel that full/reasonable value has been paid for her property.





No comments:

Post a Comment