Thursday, May 31, 2018

a bushel of fresh corn...

... bought at the store when it was a cheap as it will get at 4 ears for $1. Purchased on sale, to make creamed corn for freezing. We brought  it home on Saturday after lunch, to shuck, de-silk, wash, scrape, put in a big pot to blanch/simmer and go in the freezer. Not sure how many quart zipper bags the forty-plus ears will fill when it gets cool enough to dip up, but thinking about what a treat it will be to have available to pull out in the cold dark days of winter, heat and eat. Yum.

It was not nearly as messy as I remember: the last time there was splatter all over the counter top, me, sink, floor - so I am beginning to wish I had purchased  more. But not thinking that with enough enthusiasm to be willing to go back to the store for another bushel, to start all over with shucking, scraping, cooking, etc. Now that the mess is cleaned up, I am highly unmotivated to want to do it again today. So even though I can say: 'that wasn't so bad', I have no interest in doing it again...


We bagged it up after supper, and put two full cups = one pint in each zipper bag, put them in the freezer. P. will take them withe her when she leaves after lunch on Sun. to return to TN and enjoy eating the creamed corn, remember warm sunshine of summer when the cold winds blow next winter. Her dad sat and watched us fill the bags and commented on how good it would be in the coming year. I said you need to adjust your thinking: this corn is not for you, it is all going to Tennessee tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment