Thursday, April 26, 2018

book review: "Life As We Knew It"...

... was surprising, as I did not really expect I would enjoy it. I found it as a recorded/talking book, another that was randomly picked off the shelf at the library. In an effort to always have something going when I get in my car for a long drive, it caught my eye, along with another, so I took them both. When they do not 'capture' my interest, they won't be read, and will be returned without my finishing them - now that I am old enough to know I do not have to stand up before the entire grade school class, give a report, receive a grade!

Written by Susan Beth Pfeffer, and published by Hughton Mifflin. One of many surprises is that it was designated as a YA (young adult) publication. It was shelved there with all the other books on CD, reading the blurb on the back made me think it might be interesting, without realizing it was written for teens. When I started listening, and found it read by a YA, I thought I would not care to continue. But I did keep at it, and found it to be a very thoughtful story.

Science fiction - not something I usually read. About a meteor hitting the moon, and the resulting crisis on the earth. The tides changed, causing flooding world-wide. Earthquakes and volcanoes, that then caused changes in the weather patterns, ashes covering the sky, gardens withering due to lack of sunlight, then extremely cold winter. Disruption of all public services, no electricity, no broadcasting, no law enforcement. No food, no water. All from the perspective of a high-school aged girl, Miranda. She lived with her mom, and two brothers in a small town in Pennsylvania.

The plot was very well thought through. Many details considered, small worries to add to huge problems, compoounding the anxiety of the family, as they struggled to manage with limited supplies, constant doubt and fear while trying to remain positive. It was remarkably believable. I think maybe I should start stockpiling dry goods and bottled water....

No comments:

Post a Comment