Thursday, January 3, 2013

personal improvement project, part 1

New year's resolutions? Not here. I remember when my mom Insisted that we would come up with some written plans for self-improvement on several occasions in my growing up years. Honestly: none of them were memorable, and I cannot say that they stuck around long enough to even gather dust. But I do have a very clear memory of her feeling a great necessity for all the family to write and share things they were planning to do or cease in the next twelve months.

I am going to do things to try to get/be healthier - but that's something on-going. I have been consciously, in varying degrees of success/motivation, been working on for nearly twenty years. Ever since I realized that both of my grandmothers lived to be in their mid-nineties. It suddenly occurred to me one day that I should start taking better care of my body, as I considered the likelihood of living in it for another fifty plus years. Hopefully some of my ideas/plans have been effective.

Knowing there was a family history of osteoporosis, I have been doing things that I thought would be helpful as preventive measures - some more successful than others. Even though it was probably not specifically diagnosed back in another century, I recall the tiny grandmother getting tinier over the years, and the other one with a long history of broken limbs, and joint replacements: which to me signifies descendents at risk. Recently had a bone scan done: yep. Now to figure out the best/most effective path to take to try to preserve/possibly rebuild lost bone. Dang. I thought I was doing all the right things.

No comments:

Post a Comment