Monday, November 30, 2009

Leftover Leftovers...

The turkey story is pretty funny:

I had purchased a small, white-meat breast/turkey roast weeks ago, when they were on sale, and put it in the freezer, awaiting a holiday. So I got it out last Sunday afternoon, thinking if it sits in the fridge several days, it will be thawed and ready to cook for us to enjoy on Thanksviving. Sounds like a great plan, right?...Turkey, cornbread dressing, gravy (without body parts), casseroles: squash, sweet potato, traditional-always-on-the-table items like apple salad and celery sticks stuffed with olives-creamcheese.

Then I got a call Monday morning before I was due to be at Publix for a short shift of grocery bagging: "You Won The Turkey!" I had put my name in a box for a raffle drawing several weeks ago, not even knowing what the 'prize' would be, at the Red Cross office, after I gave a pint of blood. I thought: whatever it is (usually a trip someplace!), I surely deserve to win after saving someone's life! But did not know what they were actually giving away for the month of November. When the receptionist called and told me the 14 pound turkey was waiting, I am sad to report that I said a bad word. Then asked her to go ahead and take it out of the freezer so it would start thawing. Paul went to pick it up, and left it in the sink for me to deal with, so I put it in the fridge when I got home from Publix in the afternoon.

Though nobody actually wanted to be 'in charge' (and us in the presence of a Trained Professional!) and take responsibility for the roasting of the bird, it was consumed. Mostly. I made vegetable soup with the stock from the carcass on Sunday, and Paul made a truckload of turkey salad on Saturday. (I think he is already tired of eating so he obviously over-estimated how much he could consume!)

Hindsight made me realize I could have donated that bird, but I was so stunned it never occured to me at the time. In the unlikely event this should ever occur again, I hope I will have the presence of mind to think of the 'less fortunate' and be willing to actually look this particular gift horse in the mouth! (Or back end of the bird where all the extra parts are located, but who wants to dig around in there to find something you will just throw away?)

My mom's neighbor had a sort-of recipe she told me about, something she had kinda invented, aapted, to use up leftover turkey when they family is getting tired of looking at the Remains of the Day. I don't recall if it is something you serve over toast/rice, or a casserole with enough additions to disguise the fact that the bird is back on the table again.I have been thinking about it, and hope I can find it in my recipe box. She called it "Goodbye Turkey". That's most appropriate!

No comments:

Post a Comment