Monday, November 9, 2009

11-09-09...more Thankfulness...

I usually get calls several days a week with 'offers' to substitute teach. I am apparently in such great demand that Paul reported I got a call on Saturday afternoon... which has never happened before. In reality, they are more likely just desperate for people to come in and 'hold the fort'.
The computer generated 'sub.finder' system starts calling at 6 in the afternoon, till 9 p.m., then again at 6 a.m. till all the slots get filled, or 9 o'clock.

Most days I don't respond to the requests, having something else already on my schedule: I don't quite know what it is that keeps me so busy I do not seem to have time for a 'job' or working, but I have only actually taken three sub. teaching assignments since schools started back in August.

I got two or three calls on Friday, all of which I refused. But then I started thinking: I don't have anything else going on, I think I will call and see if I can find some 'day labor' work. So I called the computer and got one of the jobs I had turned down earlier.

The recorded message said it was work in an 'early intervention' classroom, which I assumed to be something like a head-start program that would assist disadvantaged kids to get up to speed. I went to an elementary school in a low income area of town. When I got there, the secretary said that there were already two aides in the classroom... which was 'odd'.

Then as she walked me down the hall, she commented 'all these kids are autistic'. I thought: have I bit off more than I can chew? The children were four to six years all, mostly all non-verbal, with other problems as well, like ADHD, behavior issues, anger problems, one was deaf and learning to 'sign'. Wow.

One of the para.pros sat at the computer all day, or had the ipod plugged into his ears, I assume because the teacher was out and not there to keep them all busy/supervised. But the other para. was very involved, interacting, attempting to instruct, though much of the time is devoted to intervention and behavior management.

It was not a bad day: interesting and educational.

What I really learned is that I am very Thankful for healthy children. Appreciating the blessing of having kids that matured into independent, fully-functioning adults. I cannot imagine the heartache a mother must feel to gradually realize that a child will always, always need assistance.

No comments:

Post a Comment