Thursday, July 5, 2018

skunk story...

... my boss told yesterday. I don't know how we got started on the topic of unbearably unpleasant odors, but he had a couple of amusing/distressing stories to tell. Funny in a disgusting way, meaning only if it did not happen to you, plus distressing: as thankful you were not present, though you can imagine how awful it would be if you have ever in your life encountered the aroma of an angry skunk. That skunky smell is unique, penetrating and memorable. I cannot even begin to guess why God would give that particular stomach churning smell to an animal as a defensive mechanism, but it is so pungent, your olfactory receptors will always identify that aroma. Once you have the experience it will never be forgotten.

The boss told the story of a friend who went with someone on a hunting trip. I don't think he even said what sort of animal the group was interested in chasing, catching/killing. He did not even get to the place where he could relate if the venture was considered a success, only telling the part related to a skunk encounter. One of the hunters brought beagle dogs he was training. I know they can be loud, aggressive and actually pretty good at running down prey. When the dogs returned to the group of men out in the woods, the guys noticed one of the canines was being avoided by the remainder of the pack. When they got close enough, thinking this dog might be injured, they discovered he had been sprayed by a skunk. Making both man and beast keep their distance as much as possible. The story I heard had the owner washing the dog a dozen times trying to get rid of the pungent aroma of skunk. I've heard washing dogs in tomato juice will counteract the repulsive smell, but have fortunately never had the opportunity to test that out.

The other story: He said when he was a teenager, driving down a dark, deserted dirt road late one night, he had a flat tire. In order to change it, he left the doors open to give light for the process of jacking, loosening, replacing. When he was finished and went to get back in his car, closing the doors in order to start the vehicle and get back to town - there was a skunk, apparently wandering in while he was otherwise occupied, taking care of the flat replacement. Holy cow! I would have been tempted to walk back to town to avoid a close encounter!

My co-workers who were lending an ear to this story left at this point, so I am not sure how he was able to invite the skunk to depart. Just thinking about this disaster narrowly averted makes me queasy. I made myself as scarce as if that small animal was turning around to aim his noxious fumes at me!

As I have traveled the highways between middle and south Georgia many times over the years, I will occasionally notice 'evidence', ie: the redolent aroma, where a skunk has been hit and killed by a vehicle on the road. That scent, even days after the demise is pungent enough to make you gag. It is also an indicator of the fact that this little animal is making a comeback. For many years I do not recall noticing the lingering evidence of skunk encounters with wheeled opponents, but I'd say in the past ten or fifteen years I have begun to realize they are out there again. Assuming that niche in the food chain continues to be replenished, with Mr. and Mrs. Skunk meeting often enough to raise a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment