Monday, July 30, 2018

he was hoping ...

... for sympathy, but did not get any. I did try to keep myself from being too judgmental, but it was quite obvious he was disappointed when he started complaining and did not get the desired result of: 'Oh! I am so sorry!' and 'That's so sad! What can I do to help?'

Coming home one afternoon last week, I went into the living area where he can usually be found sitting in his recliner. He reported he had been cold all day. He was wearing short pants, a short-sleeved polo-type knit shirt, and a light weight jacket that is not much warmer than putting on a long-sleeved shirt. Light weight everything, and said he was sitting there shivering, with his teeth chattering. Under a ceiling fan that was whirling around full speed. In a house with the air conditioning blowing full blast.

I suggested he might put on a warmer jacket, and know he has a number of fleece or microfiber zippered jackets to use in cooler weather. Quite frankly amazed by the fact that he was wearing shorts, when it was a day he knew he would be spending hours in the dialysis clinic, where the thermostat is always low to provide cooling for the machines that run constantly. He has a warm fleece blanket he takes when he goes in the clinic, issued by the staff they will cover him with. Plus he takes along a lined fleece/microfiber jacket to cover up with. Cannot actually wear the jacket as his arm has to be accessible to insert needles for dialysis, but knowing he will be cold, takes plenty of cover to stay warm. Why he would go there in short pants with his legs uncovered is completely baffling to me.

So he came home, and sat down, chilled to the bone and miserable, hoping I would come in and be sympathetic. Expecting me to say:' Let me get you a blanket' and 'I will turn off the ceiling fan'. Or 'Do you want me to bump up the thermostat so the AC will cycle off?' And I asked why he was wearing shorts instead....

I told him 'I know it is always cold in the clinic, so have to wonder what you were thinking when you got dressed this morning?' It has been hot here in July, in the nineties most days, steamy, humid weather. But  he is very cold-natured, due to taking blood thinners and the natural effects of age-ing.  This is a complete reversal from years ago, when he kept the house so cold, I would wear socks and long sleeved shirts to bed to keep from being chilled overnight. Currently, the thermostat for the HVAC in our house is set at 78 degrees, which is apparently comfortable for him. Personally, I would think I was roasting without the cooling effect of ceiling fans stirring up the air to make it tolerable.

No comments:

Post a Comment