Friday, February 8, 2013

possibly the first day of accidental spring

I did a wee bit of yard work today. I had good intentions for getting my wheel barrow out and picking up some sticks and limbs that have fallen over the months of winter winds. And I did get the barrow out, but never got around to filling it. Maybe that will happen tomorrow, before it starts raining again in a couple of days and turns the barrow into a portable pond.

I planted some stuff: a mum plant that was a rescue. I'd cut the fading blooms off a week ago, and brought it home. I will be surprised when it blooms, as I don't remember what color it was. And some bulbs I dug up last spring, left lying in the dark on a sheet of newspaper, expecting to sell. I recently  noticed them sprouting green leaves, wanting to grow so much I felt compelled to plant them, put them back in the dark damp earth  again. And some agapanthus corms I brought back from south GA about a year ago, that had been sitting around in a bucket, waiting for a decision about where to plant them. Decision made, hole dug, Lily of the Nile in the ground, in that front bed I invented last spring/summer. Along with several clumps of surprise lilly bulbs and  the mums that will be colorful in the fall.

The salvia I transplanted into that bed has not quit blooming: even in the coldest weather, there have been little bright red blooms on the ends of the tender stems. And a lavendar lantana in a pot that I keep moving around, from one side of the house to the other, trying to decide where it wants to settle in.

I have lots of rescued hyacinth bulbs that have started blooming: white, pink a deep rosy color, and a deep blue that looks nearly purple. The hugely overgrown bushes of forsythia are beginning to have a few yellow blooms. Also random clumps of the tiny white bell shaped blooms of the snow drops that came from south GA nearly thirty years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment