Tuesday, February 12, 2013

plodding along

For a person who only works part-time, this has already been an excessive week: and it's only Tuesday. Due to the 'everybody loves everybody' holiday coming up on Thursday, it will be unusually long for me. I often have work weeks when I might be scheduled for ten hours, but this one gives me the 'opportunity' to work a full forty hour week. And after working two eight-hour days already, it's pretty obvious to the tired feetses: that the era of full time retail work is history.

It will be nice, when the paycheck comes, and I can enjoy the benefits of having put in all that time, but it's also a lesson in exhaustion. Today will be the day the huge load of freight comes from the warehouse: cartons and cartons and cartons of plants, with blooming hyacinths, daffodils and tulips, azaleas, cyclamen. And buckets and buckets and buckets of dozens of wrapped and ready bunches of  roses for 'cash and carry' ($19.99). And a pallet stacked two or three high with boxes of mixed cut flower bouquets. I hope I can remember all that stuff the physical therapist told me to do to be 'kind' to my back when the boss is hurrying me to get it all from the stock room and displayed out on the sales floor. And it would be really nice if the 'master plan' that is only in his head will be revealed before I put it all in the wrong place and spend the day tomorrow rearranging it.

It this point, not quite half-way through the week that seems to swamp us every year, no matter how prepared we try to get - I am feeling like the Little Engine That Could. Trying to constantly keep the 'I think I can' mantra in the forefront of my mind... along with the knowledge that I am nearly half-way to the finish line. So, with the attitude that the glass is half full, here comes day three of five. I think I Can, I think I can...


No comments:

Post a Comment