Saturday, July 21, 2012

nothing related to SOTB, walking trivia instead

I have been pondering the purchase of a ped-o-mom-eter to measure walking. I have had several cheap ones, that of course/curses don't last long - they were cheap, right? But do not want to spend a lot of money to invest in one that is not cheap-0, since I seem to have such poor luck with them. This may qualify as the ultimate catch-22?

But I have been so diligently putting in the miles, I decided there should be some gratification, (other than eating like a horse) perhaps in the form of being able to say "I walked _ _ miles today"? I went to Wallyworld and did not buy the cheapest one on the pegboard, as I thought that one would probably be worthless, even though I know from history how liable I am to drop it on it's head on a hard surface. Bought the next-to-cheapest one instead, and with tech-support to program it, put it on to try to keep track of miles. I have a friend who reports Dr. Oz says we need to aim for 10,000 steps a day - which means less than zero to me, the hopelessly math impaired (I don't have nearly enough fingers and toes to keep up with numbers that big!) This little thing I wear on my waist band counts calories burned, steps, as well as miles. The # for cal. burned is pretty depressing....

Since yesterday was the first day I put it on and wore it all day: it was my All Time Best!!! And will probably be my best ever for all eternity. I won't shame you by telling how many m.p.g. I got, but I was really hoofing it: to the point that I think I rubbed a blister on one of my fav-o-rite toes. I've been walking the same route on my street, in my neighborhood for so long, I already had a pretty good idea of distance, and have gotten up some speed. I used to walk about three miles, and now, if I am feeling peppy, can get closer to four.
R U Impressed?

I found some folks who would walk with me early in the mornings while I was out of town last week, but it was just too much effort (especially too much to ask of people who were getting up early just to go walking with me, who has been diligently practicing for weeks) to go again in the afternoon. I kinda felt like I was lagging, loosing ground, but timing was such that there was no easy way to do it later in the day. I've been going in the a.m., and again in the p.m. this week at home, and doing really well. The only problem with walking for miles on a daily basis:  I am sure when I stop, I will likely not stop eating like I was still walking miles every day.

I hope all this means that when I go on the hike across the mountains, I will not be the last one in line, which would mean that the bears will  not be getting me for a snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment