Friday, February 10, 2012

it was a mess of my own making...

After I got down to the south side of town this morning, I discovered the job I had driven nearly thirty minutes to get to did not exist. I called the computer and found that I had accidently agreed to a position that needed to be filled next Tuesday, and showed my foolish self up for today. They asked me if I would take a fourth grade class, and I said yes (but the expression on my face quite obviously said "No").

So they wondered if I might take a second grade position - and I kinda, sorta, half-heartedly agreed. The male sub. who had been sent to the second grade was re-routed to the fourth grade (which was, in my opinion, a Great Idea - he was quite large and readily intimidating for little people of any age - would be much more effectively used to mange a room full of ten year olds), and I was placed, completely un-prepared, in a room with two dozen 7 and 8 year olds who tried their best to give me a head-ache.

It could have been worse. Somehow, I know it could have. But I survived. Even though at one point I sent a student to the office with a note that said he needs to have his attitude adjusted. When he came back, I asked who he saw and what happened. He reported that the principal told him he better  not see him back there for the rest of the day. I think it helped that we all went out on the playground and wandered around in the fresh air and vitamin D for half an hour after lunch, when the teacher had only allotted us ten minutes of outdoor time.

I am sure it could have been worse: I could have been in a class full eleven year olds with hormones and attitudes.And the lesson I learned is to check much more carefully before I hit the 'yes' button that commits to a job - to be sure it is not getting me into another mess of my own making.

No comments:

Post a Comment