Sunday, February 12, 2012

dedicated to Nick and Diana

There is a young  couple I know and attend church with who are planning to leave town and what I assume is a fairly good employment situation to take themselves and three kids and go to live on a Mercy Ship. I am awed. I am overwhelmed. I am so excited for them.

I am horribly, terribly, unbearably envious of their daring and devotion. I am delighted to think of what an amazing opportunity they are jumping into, heading out  to be the 'hands and feet', and especially to  model servanthood for their family. What an amazing situation to take kids into: living on a ship full of people dedicated to serving the under-served, those in the most desperate need of medical care who have no financial resources and cannot do anything to help themselves. Taking  your family to the far side of the planet, but in a situation where all your basic needs are provided, which allows you to focus on the people you will meet. To go into the 'uttermost parts of the world' and provide modern medical care to people that will forever change their lives - just the medical care alone will have a permanent, dramatic effect. Each individual the Mercy Ship provides care for will be changed: possibly giving individuals an opportunity get education they desperately want, jobs they need to provide for families, acceptance in a society that had previously shunned them, a chance to have a family, re-build relationships, establish themselves in their communities.

But also using the opportunity to minister to their hearts and fill them with Living Water. It is going to be such a fantastic time for the entire family. It makes me so envious. And thinking of how I wish something like this had happened in my life when I had kids young enough to be easily portable, and I was daring enough leap into such an amazing opportunity to give my family such a life-changing experience. Wow. Oh, wow....

No comments:

Post a Comment