Monday, February 20, 2012

up and down the road - again....

IF there was any way to insure sound sleep, I would be in favor of celebrating President's day by going back to bed. But knowing that I would just lay there and ponder, fret, flop over and over and over, as I did for about two hours after waking up at 4:30, I know better than to put my head down on the pillow again.

Publix job had me working five days last week: Saturday through Wednesday. With Thursday off to get some errands and household chores done. Friday was the day to get up at 4:30 (who needs an alarm clock??!!) and drive to Decatur for a short interlude before going on to Chattanooga for the weekend.

We got up at 6:00 a.m. on Saturday, to arrive at Berry College in Rome by 8:30, for the running of the Half-Marathon on the beauty-full Berry campus. My job was to cheer, clap, and give the famous whistle, jump up and down, be loud and obstreperous: definitely not a participant.  Though I know I could have walked the distance for the 5-k (three mile) choice, and burned a few calories while we were waiting for the runners to run the course.

I think I remember hearing that Berry College with all their agriculture classes and animal husbandry-cow raising pastures, is the largest college campus in the nation. I expect those hundreds of hearty souls who ran the thirteen-plus miles of the race saw much more than they wanted by the time they got to 'finish'. Our guy crossed over the line in less that two hours: amazing, astounding, remarkable, and Very Impressive!

Then we had to be back in Ft. Oglethorpe for a birthday party. Which was  mildly amusing. Especially since it was the grown-up kids versus the seven-year old kids in a game of Laser Tag. Hopefully the adults had the advantage of size and strategy - but it is likely short people won due to experience, as I don't think any of the others (myself included) had ever had such an opportunity for craziness in the dark. I still need to put 'laser tag' on my bucket list, so I can mark it off. It was pretty interesting and a whole lot less painful/stressful than paintball.

We also investigated 'trail rides' while we were there (as if battling a crew of seven-year-olds with electronics was not enough excitement for one weekend). I thought I was interested in riding horses in the park, but it has been so long since I have looked at the world from the perspective of that height, I am sure I will need to practice that particular skill on more level ground first. It has been many years since I have looked at the world from between two point-y ears of a large mammal, I fear I don't know how to 'drive' such a large creature, and will have want to brush up on the finer points, before I get off in the woods on something that size that may or may not be controllable.

There was a time, many many years ago when I was on the back of such a large,opinionated animal who was intent on the food bucket, headed home-ward, that I nearly got knocked off. When he trotted under a low hanging limb, focused on the helping of sweet-feed that awaited upon a return to the stall, I didn't duck quickly enough to avoid getting a hard whack. We both arrived back at the pen at the same time, but I learned to be far more deliberate in my choice of paths as we got close to his food trough. I can't remember the last time I have been on horseback, I definitely need a refresher course.

No comments:

Post a Comment