Wednesday, January 11, 2012

winter storms...

I woke up this morning, way too early as usual - one of the major hazards I have discovered to be part of the aging process. I readily admit that thus far: this seems to be my only problem, so it is definitely not a complaint - just a fact of changing body chemistry.  I really like the geezer discounts at movies, free drinks at Taco Bell, etc, but I think I would probably, today at least, rather have a really good nights' sleep on a regular basis. If you out there, know any tricks I am not aware of over here, that would safely (preferably without drugs) induce a long restful night, please pass along the information before you get a copyright on the solution?

While I was lying there, pondering the universe as I do in the wee hours, with only my nose sticking out of my warm little nest, I heard something that sounded like a large building imploding. So I stuck an ear out as well, and discovered all the accompanying special effects of a winter storm passing over. Strobe lights flickering off and on, off and on, at an alarming rate, with accompany thunder and pounding rain on the roof. What sounded in the distance like long string of box cars banging together repeatedly coupling and uncoupling in series, over and over, a great rumbling, grumbling, grinding. (I suspect  going to the "War Horse" movie and the horrific scenes and sounds of WWI were mixed up in all this somehow, though I was fully awake before the storm started rolling across the panhandle of the county.)

All the signs of a bad winter storm: Which I saw a small snippet about when I was checking mail last night. There was a photo on AOL of a house, that looked fairly modern (meaning not the traditional yurt/igloo/tipi design you see in social studies/history books in elementary school libraries). It was covered in what the little twelve word description reported as about fifteen feet of snow. I am pretty sure it was in the US, probably in the upper mid-west, and I assume a current photo rather than something from a file. I am glad that is not me, living in that house, with the risk of no public services. Reminding me of that 'unexpected' storm back in the fall up on the eastern seaboard where people in the region were without power for days, and schools were closed due to both outages and trees downed prohibiting travel.

But honestly: those people make a choice, deliberate or not, conscious or not, to live where they live. They made a decision to buy a house, or sign a rental agreement, probably due to proximity of employment and/or family members. But still: it was a decision, overt, deliberate, due to failure to weigh it out carefully? And they do not live on the steppes in a yurt, or little stony drab, gray village hanging precariously to the side of the Himilayan Mountain range, isolated and ignorant of world events, both large and small. So they had access to the media, who were stirring up alarm, trying to raise an alert, warning about impending weather.

Those who choose to disregard that information then became: All those people who began demanding utilities and conveniences. Things we'uns in the most permissive, coddled nation in the world have begun to think of as necessities (up to and including potable water when we turn on the tap - or even flush: can you imagine what someone in third world country in that little dirt-floored, window-less, grass-roofed hut in Africa, Asia or South America would think of us throwing good fresh drinking water away every time we eliminate personal waste products?) Instant-on lights, refrigeration, and glass cook top stoves and more food stockpiled  in the pantry than we could eat in two weeks.

And: toilet paper!!! Have you ever considered what your life would be like without an ample supply of toilet paper? Great googly-moogly. Thank you Procter and Gamble for flushable paper. I am going to stop typing right now and get myself to the store to start stockpiling...

Well, those people who are making demands, saying 'I pay my utilities' and 'My family needs the 20 cubic foot upright freezer to work so all my groceries won't spoil' - they did choose to live in the mountains of New Hampshire or on the Upper Peninsula of Michigan or inaccessible Rocky Mountains in Montana. Yes, you will have times of aggravation, inconvenience and hardship. Like a twenty mile round trip to the curb store when you are out of beer and smokes at 10:00 p.m. But you do have that pick-up truck, and a pocket full of change to go down the hill to make the purchase, and a safe, dry, comfortable bed to sleep in when you get back.

So, step away from those temporary annoyances and discomforts: You do have all the promises and freedoms that come with American citizenship. Not 'free', mind you, but bought at great price by many generations of men and women in conflicts, service to country and committed in their efforts to preserve the constitution. But please: look UP instead of down, count your blessings, or snowflakes or children instead of complaining about the incessant mud they track in when the storm comes and the 'snow-days' accumulate.

All this to say, I was thinking about a road trip today: I have a car with a full tank of gas, good tires, excellent mileage ability, credit card for convenience at stops - and was moaning over the fact that I don't want to get out on the highway when I can't use the cruise control due to slick roads. Considering the annoyance of having to watch the speedometer every minute and adjust pressure on the accelerator constantly to keep speed steady - is that mundane, petty, silly, insignificant? Well... yesh, most definitely a poor excuse to postpone....

No comments:

Post a Comment