Thursday, January 5, 2012

painting career is over...

That painting I did on the last day of that old, raggedy, used-up year has come to a screeching halt.  I told the guy, Bill, who I assumed was the on-site supervisor, I could come back on Monday (1-2) and do more, priming the trim that already probably had forty coats of paint. So I went in and started about 10:00, hoping the building was warm enough for successful paint application.'They were not very organized'. Maybe recovering from staying up too late on Saturday night, but when I first saw the staff of Dr. and head nurse + Bill on Monday, they all had heads bowed in prayer, so I doubt there was much mis-behaving going on over the weekend ...just getting off to a slow, creaky start on a Monday morning.


I knew I would be using some primer that is very viscous, thick, all purpose, oil based, designed to stick to most any surface, and hard to remove. I'd tried to get that 'kilz' out of some paintbrushes I adopted/brought home on Saturday afternoon, made a run to wally world for paint thinner to let them soak after previous users left sitting in a water filled bucket far too long. With only marginal success. Had a very educational conversation about chemistry, paint, polymers with the paint-seller at discount store, which made  me understand why my attempt would be aggravating, resulting with ultimately throwing the paint brushes in the trash....

So here I am, around noon on Monday, with a container of paint/primer in one hand, and a wet paint brush in the other, making the usual up and down motion that one would make when painting the door facing. Quietly going about my business, pondering the world. One of the guys on the 'official' painting crew comes through the hall way with a bucket and paint roller in his hands, looks at me and says: 'what are you doing?' I said "Painting". This happened two more times.I guess I was a bit slow in comprehension, but after the third time, I finally understood that my limited skills and experience were no longer needed/welcome. So I picked up my little bucket of supplies, discreetly left.

I think they were aiming for a 'soft opening' of the clinic this week, but from what I saw on Monday, were far from ready to provide community health services. I think Jan. 4 or 5 was their goal, the date they were aiming for, but I will watch for info. in the paper. Our home-town Ledger-Enquirer (now printed in Macon, GA, in a cost-cutting measure) has gotten so pitifully thin by focusing on pertinent local news of stabbings, wrecks, lurid scenarios involving well-known, high-profile citizens, dirt-digging, dipping local politicians and public employees in the mud-hole - they often print 'sections' that consist of pages 1-4.

But I am looking forward to reading about the clinic opening.I plan to share that information with an un-insured, un-employed, medically ailing friend, to make her aware of their services, and hope she will go and find relief from chronic problems. When people get to the point that they can barely walk, inching along in pain, I know they need relief... and the one I know personally might benefit from a little push to get there...

No comments:

Post a Comment