Thursday, January 5, 2012

...well, maybe not a scrrreeeching halt....

The person who serves as our church receptionis has a talent/obviously gifted for the avocation of beautifully decorating our worship space. She recently found herself designing and painting wall-mounted scenery. What she has created has graciously, magnificently enhanced worship. She did a beautiful five-panel series of stretched canvas (even building the stretchers to her specs, and mounted the canvas) to illustrate Advent. She is now in the process of producing a rolled 'backdrop', more of an illustration, for the next sermon series,  trying to finish in time to have up for this coming Sunday.

And me: I am the church laundry-lady. Stopping by every week to pick up dirty dish towels in the kitchen and return them several days later Magically Clean. (Somewhat/how related to the Clean Underwear Fairy who has been secretly living within the walls of our house for thirty years....amazingly mysteriously remarkably astounding that we have yet to see him/her/it.) I am considering petitioning at the next committee meeting to have an official title, and maybe even get a key to the kitchen door, so I can pick up and return the towels without chasing down one of maintianance staff for admittance.

When I was passing through on Wed., with clean towels, looking for a key-holder to the kitchen, I talked to the receptionist and found her stressing about getting her next project painted, dry, hung before Sunday at 9:00 a.m. So I told her when she got back to church with the paint, to call me and I would come help. As you know, I love to paint, and got pretty well squelched with my last project.

I went over about 7:00, we painted till nearly 10:30. Which means I was after 11:00 turning out the light and going to sleep. Which means I did not crash at the usual 8:30 or 9:00, which means I spent all night actually sleeping. That was nice. I accidently, unintentionally slept all night on Saturday, but feel like it was primarily due to the fact that we were nearly 1:00 (after New Year's Eve entertainment) getting to bed, so not sure I deserve bragging rights to a good night's sleep on that one.

Anyway - I told her when she got ready to finish up today - to call and I would come back and we could probably get the thing wrapped up in a couple of hours. Reminding me so of a 'Choppy-ism', a saying I recall from years ago, that  I never heard come out of anyone mouth other than my mother: 'Many hands make light work'. Really enjoyed the work, that was not actually 'labor' since it was enjoyed, and the company. Thanks, J, for inviting me into yur world :)

No comments:

Post a Comment