Saturday, January 7, 2012

not really my story to tell, but ....

This happened last week, and it's not really my story, but 'tellling' in an interesting way so I will report as an observer, even though I did not actually 'observe' as it unfolded. I think I may qualify as an Person of Interest or maybe just an interested party, but as I have pondered it for a couple of days, realize it might be better put in the recent commentary on Thankfulnesses.

A daughter was going to stay in the house down in south GA for the weekend, with friends, hangers-on, posse, associates, a generally motley crew. They were late leaving north GA, so excessively late getting to their destination: which explains why she called me at midnight or 12:01, providing opportunity for a heart attack or thoughts of 'blood gushing' and 'body parts flying' when the ringing awakens you from a sound sleep. She was reporting that the key I had described was not in the location as expected and in a quandry - tired, hoping for a nice warm bed. As if that were not awful enough: the bed would not be warm, since the HVAC was on the fritz. But just getting in the door was the first obstacle. ALL I could do from three hours away was say a bad word. Then call someone who was also sound asleep, but much closer with a spare. He admitted that he knew the location of the wayward key, and provided info. to get the weary travelers in the cold house.

They got in, and started to turn on lights. Then had a knock on the door from local law enforcement. So it took some explaining to satisfy the constabulary they had legitimate rights to be on the premises. I think they actually had to produce photo ID and got checked in the data base for felonious behavior. Pretty exciting for people who only wanted to fall into bed. I know they were asked to tell who, what, why, and where:   interesting to consider, as I now realize that anyone with a penchant for B&E is likely to not know the street address for the scene of the crime.

Crazy under most circumstances to be thankful for nosy neighbors, but I am. I am glad someone lives in a house next door that has been off-and-on empty for years, that they were up and peering out through the curtains, being suspicious, and willing to make the call. Thankful to know they were concerned enough to be Minding My Business. And appreciative enough that I called to get info. so I could write a note and let them know they are welcome to mind anytime they want...

In this day and age of frivilous litigation, people seemingly oblivious, passing by those in distress, indifferent/unwilling to get involved, it is very gratifying, even on such a small scale, to know that there are people who want to step up. Interested enough in the lives of others to make a move to insure safety. I recently read about research someone had done on the Good Samaritan principle - curious to know what makes people stop, slow down their busy-ness, divert their path, change their plans to help out others in need. Researchers thought the primary reason might be compassion, or concern, or medical training, or just a desire to help. I don't know how the project was carried out, to come to the end result. But according to the story, the main reason people got involved: Time. They apparently were willing to devote their time to helping. Not trained experts, not overwhelming compassion, but just willing to stop and assist. I think: a willingness to do the right thing, even if it might be inconvenient. But I have come to realize that the most valuable commodity we all have is: Time.

Time: something we seem to be amazingly willing to let slip through our fingers, when we should all be far more deliberate, intentional in spending it wisely. So That is my plan for the coming year.What are you going to do with the next 52 weeks?

No comments:

Post a Comment