Wednesday, May 4, 2011

"not really interested in harp music"...???

We have been enjoying, off and on, for several years, going downtown to St. Luke UMC once a month on the first Tuesday to have lunch and enjoy some sort of  musical 'recital'. Usually someone local who sings, or plays some type instrument, occasionally a traveling troupe of gospel singers or out-of-town talent imported for the occasion. The entertainment last month (which I sadly missed) was a very gifted local young man who sings gospel music, with recorded accompinment, who happens to be blind. For May, yesterday, there was a harpist who lives in the Atlanta area. She brought along a friend who played the piano. It was quite good: you don't often encounter someone willing to put the effort into developing and maintaining such unusual skills. They both work professionally, doing contract work in the metro area.

I had asked Paul if he wanted to go, and was planning to go across town and get his sister to take for the lunch and music. So we had three reservations for the catered lunch, which is prepared by the chef and kitchen staff at St. Luke and always a good hot meal. Then we got to talking about going down there on Monday night - when I told him my 'plan' was for me to get the sister down there, and he would take her home, so I could  go to the Respite Care program (across the street from the fellowship hall) and finish up the planting business I started several weeks ago.  My mom attended the program for several years and I go occaionally to re-plant seasonal annuals, and keep in touch with the workers/volunteers there, who are so  sweet, compassionate in their caregiving witth participants.

I had another flat of annuals and needed to get them put in pots to add color in their little 'secret garden'. Plus move some wonderfully blooming fragrantly smelling Confederate jasmine that needed to be scooted over close to a fence it ws intended to climb on for support and decoration. And a rose some noodle-head had planted in the complete shade.

But he said he thought he was not really all that much interested in harp music and that he thought he would pass on making the effort to get down there for lunch. Needless to say: that tossed a monkey wrench in my plans. So I had to leave home at 8:30 to get it all done before going out to the north side of town to pick up the sister.

It all worked out: but the questions we formulated for him when we were talking, while going down town for the luncheon: "What do you plan to do when you get to the Pearly Gates, and standing in line to have your wings and halo issued? Ask if you can go over there and get in the line where they are being given the little pre-school rhythm band instruments like triangles, tambourines, and wooden blocks to bang together? Refuse to attend the harp-playing class? Say: 'I don't need lessons'?"

'Not really interested in harp music'? That's defnitely not me! ..."When I get where I'm going , there'll be only happy tears"...
I've heard talk of people who were apparently standing behind the door when they were passing out common sense, but I cannot imagine getting up there and being recalcitrant. I am going to be so thankful just to get in the door, I will be doing the happy dance the whole time.

No comments:

Post a Comment