Wednesday, April 20, 2011

accidently not-so-"cheerfully unemployed"

I found myself working at Publix all week. I thought I was working on Monday and not again until the weekend. I knew about Monday, as my co-worker was required/commanded to report to the Jury Pool room in the government center at eight o'clock sharp. I knew my job was to be his replacement for the day - but did not really expect that truck load of plants and bouquets from the warehouse, getting shoppers in the mood for Easter sales.

The jury selection went on for the better part of three days, but fortunatelyfinally the decision has been made: if it were me sweating out  the process, I would be delighted to be sent home as 'unselected' (which he was!) I would assuredly not feel the slightest big 'rejected' by not spending the next month sitting in a courtroom trying to keep all the he-said/she-said stuff straight in my mind.

Things will get back to (relatively speaking) normal with my little part-time, somewhat, semi-employ after Sunday.  But I will go on punching the time clock for the rest of this week, due to the holiday plus a prom on Saturday.

I am so out of the habit of being on my feets all day, day after day, I expect to be singing the song of the Little Engine That Could by the time the store is closed for Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment