Friday, May 20, 2011

from sweater weather to tank tops...

The people I know who were raised in Pennsylvania have this expression they apply to whatever the current weather is: "This sure is strange weather we are having". It is apparently terminology that, no matter what sort of routine or abnormal  things are occuring in the atmosphere within in the bounds of the state, is applicable. No matter the meterological conditions, it is always 'strange'.  I remember going up there once in the middle of summer, with kids wearing shorts, t-shirts and sandals, and having to make a bee-line for the sweatshirt store as soon as we crossed the state line and opened the door.

Not only is the weather strange, the people might be just a wee small tad as well. (plus they think a cold glass for tea is not supposed to be sweet!!! Why do they think we drink iced tea at all?)

So when I left home on Thursday morning to go to south GA, I had on a fleece jacket, since it has been so unseasonably cool all week. Then after a couple of hours of yard work, was down to a tank top. It was (to my way of thinking) a pretty productive time, though I doubt anyone else would take notice of my bushwhacking efforts... Probably partially due to the fact that my goal was primarily to get shrubbery trimmed back from being too close to the house, so yes, I guess so: nothing actually shows! But I did get a lot done, and was able to go with the attitude that the only way to tackle such a monumental task is in increments. Thanks: WS, who showed up with perfect timing with a Chain Saw... oh, wow! If I was not deathly afraid of them, I would be a  modern day Paul Bunyan and go charging off into the woods, cutting a swath - but honestly do not want to even be there when it is blasting out ear-ringing decibles, churning out a rooster tail of sawdust... vewy scarey!

Did not have nearly enough time to do all the things I would have liked, but with a little assistance from hired help believe that I will eventually accomplish the goal. The problem, as I have discovered, is that yard work is like trying to get all the clothes washed when your kids are little. Especially if you are 'outnumbered':  they can dirty, change, leave a trail of garments strewn along faster than you can get them washed, dried, folded and back in the drawer.

Are you familiar with the expression 'herding cats'? Well, it took me a long time to figure this one out, but I have begun to realize that when you plant stuff, (and mostly stuff you don't actually get credit for, but you just look the other way for ten years or so and let un-wanted, invasive 'volunteers' go to seed and spread,  take over when you are not paying close attention), and suddenly find you have to spend the rest of your life trying to whip it into shape. Constantly trying to keep it under control, which is nutty, since the whole reason you went and paid good money for it is in the hope that I would grow and change!

I long ago decided I would not fertilize a lawn: what's the point of that??? To make more work for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment