Monday, September 13, 2010

A priceless gift...

I am going tomorrow, Tuesday, September 14 for the third time with a group of WW II veterans on a one-day trip to Washington. They are going to visit the memorials. I am sure some have already been to see the WWII Memorial, as well as the others that are on the itinerary for the day, but I am equally sure that this will be the only time many will have the opportunity to go, and to visit not only 'their' memorial that was built to honor the men and women who served in Europe, Africa and the Pacific, but also to see the Korean and Vietnam War memorials and visit Arlington Cemetary.

My first trip was about a year ago, with a man who was nearing 90, and has since died. The second time, back in the spring, was with a man who lives down south of Ft. Benning in Cussetta. Both of those men were so wobbly I pushed them in wheelchairs the entire day, from getting off the charter flight at Baltimore airport, until they were reunited with family members when we got back to Columbus about 9:00p.m.

Tomorrow, I am responsible for keeping up with two veterans: they both live in Albany, and will be going with a half-dozen other vets from that area. I told them I am very thankful they are both fairly mobile!

When I was driving up the interstate north of Atlanta on Saturday morning (9-11), I went under an overpass where there were several people standing waving huge American Flags - and I hope it went on all day long: great big, bright red and white stripes and brilliant stars. And then traveling farther north, passed through a little town in the hill country of north Ga where the whole courthouse lawn was covered with rows and rows of the stars and stripes. So we won't forget that Freedom is not free...

It will be a sweet day of thoughtful remembrance.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice post, Francina. Well put. Hope your trip goes well.

    ReplyDelete