Wednesday, September 22, 2010

a little petty larceny music, please

When certain un-named people were in their teens, old enough to be traveling under their own recognizance (is this an oxymoron?), while still young enough to do really stupid things, as they were still being underwritten by responsible adults of the parent-type persuasion: they began living lives that involved petty larceny of public/state/city property.

Those street signs have been languishing in the carport for a number of years as the 'larcen-ees' matured into a semblance of adulthood, moved out and on with their lives. Most of the flotsam and jetsam that got left behind was eventually carted off to various homesteads in Decatur and Chattanooga, but no one would claim the highway signs.

I have been pondering for several months the best avenue for disposal, and finally decided to take them as an offering to the local DOT office. I loaded them in the car, and drove the evidence over there: defending my appearance by stating that I was definitely old enough to know better, and though my fingerprints were all over the signs, I had nothing to do with the fact that they were apparently in my possession. They laughed, and said we are probably all guilty of this type behavior at 'a certain age' and let me unload those homeless signs. If they had been still attached to the metal posts a couple of them came home with, I never could have gotten them in my car, but the posts are planted in the garden, where I was using them for holding wires to support my climbing bean crop.(Does keeping the posts make me an accessory to the crime?)

I admit I would have been guilty years ago, but I could not get the sign loose from the post (wooden poles at the time), so never actually completed the larcenous act.

No comments:

Post a Comment