Monday, September 6, 2010

he's on the move....

The guy who had a new knee joint installed three weeks ago today is out in the streets. He said he was tired of being confined, has decided he is o.k. to drive. I told him I would take him anyplace he wanted to be, but that was not suitable. So, he took himself - mostly just to prove he could? And certainly to prove that no one else could tell him what he could or could not do...

When we were on the way to church yesterday, we had a conversation that went along the lines of him saying he thought he would go to hang out with his little group of Bubbas on Sunday afternoon, and me saying that I did not feel he was ready to drive, does not have the flexibility to have regained the reflex strength necessary to manage brake and acceleration. Plus I know how much he still groans when he has to bend that joint to get in and out of the door/front seat of the car.

I am fairly sure he did not go out yesterday (while I was working at Publix and not available to keep an eye on possible juvenile behavior). But apparently far more time has passed since we had that conversation on the way to church than I realized, because the 'rules of recuperation' have changed dramatically since Sunday morning. I can't imagine how he thinks that there is an enormous difference/change between now and 24 hours ago.

But he decided he is o.k, and even more importantly, decided he is ready. So there he goes. I do not want to think about what he will be like if the time comes when he is really told he needs to give up his right to drive.... reminding me of tellling teenagers that the act of getting behind the steering wheel is actually Not something that is mentioned anywhere in the Bill of Rights: it is a privilege, and yes, it can be revoked if the time arrives that it is not done in a circumspect and orderly manner. But I will not be the one telling him that...

No comments:

Post a Comment