Saturday, September 15, 2018

volunteer job...

... today at Callaway Gardens, probably not nearly as entertaining as the one over Labor Day weekend when the hot air balloons were on the scene. I wrote a little cryptic note on my calendar months ago when I got their newsletter and sent an email offering to be present and helpful.The now Written on my calendar for Saturday morning is 'containers'. I am assuming it was to remind me that the workshop has to do with planting things for fall. Maybe not, but my hope is that it will be a short classroom talk, then an opportunity to get hands in the dirt after the participants have a lesson in the finer points of successful container gardening.

I'm no expert by any stretch, but the thing I would warn those attempting to put bloomers in pots: how difficult it is to find things that will be happy with roots squished together, all smooshed up in the same container. Putting unlike annuals together with perennials is a recipe for failure. When they need different types of soil to be successful, as well as different watering requirements, it is highly unlikely you will be pleased with the end product. Assembled together in the same pot where some need a lot of sunshine, plenteous light and others do not care for full all-day exposure to bright sun, is asking for trouble.

It will be interesting to see how this workshop turns out. Even though I am a 'worker bee', having volunteered as a helper for people who have made reservations and paid to attend the event, I am looking forward to listening and learning. It will be interesting, seeing what the Expert will bring for compatible plantings as well as containers that will meet the needs of the fall flowering plants provided for the attendees to use. Not sure if the instructions were to bring your container of choice, but I can imagine all sorts of baskets, farm implements, rusty buckets people might bring to fill for colorful outdoor decorations.

No comments:

Post a Comment