Wednesday, September 5, 2018

things is happening...

...here in Valdosta. After working for six hours, I drove south to get here for a meeting with someone who is well-versed in  estate auctions. N. came in the door handing me a copy of her resume and a list of satisfied customers I could contact for references. I did not really look at either, just said I was ready to sign a contract to move forward with the process.

She provided 'way more information than I could retain. Plus I expect she has given her spiel on so many occasions over her lifetime, she often wishes for a recording to punch the 'play' button. She and husband have been in real estate or household dissolution for many years, and seem to be very knowledgeable, having refined the process over time to be very efficient. Everything is online, there are no print catalogs, nothing to mail out with costs of production or postage expenses. It is difficult to believe this business can sell all the small oddments, collectibles, memorabilia, flotsam and jetsam of a long life of interesting travels.

My goal for yesterday was to clean out one closet. I did - but cheated - picking the one that had the least amount of clutter as my challenge. It was a snap, but do not think it  really qualifies due the minuscule effort required to complete the task. Thinking I might go back before I leave this afternoon and put the contents of another closet in my car to deliver to the thrift store, in order to salve my conscience and mollify that little imp sitting on my shoulder. I did rake all the stuff off the fridge into a trash bag: does that count towards my goal? Oh, well....nice try!

I do not have the vocabulary to describe the relief of talking to the auction person yesterday. I know that clearing out her accumulated household goods is a prerequisite to being able to begin the sale of the house. But, as I told the auctioneer, N., yesterday: I am still very sad about giving away so much nice, sturdy, well-built durable furniture that was in my parents' home. I tried numerous times to find some help: a dealer, antique collector, consignment shop owner, anyone who would advise about disposing of well-made valuable furniture. With no success, whereupon I made a list and donated hundreds of dollars worth well loved, well made goods to a local non-profit thrift shop.

Causing me to studiously avoid the prospect of  listing, sorting, packing, loading, hauling all the goods from the aunties' house to ultimately donate to a thrift store. According to N., that will not be the case with eighty-three years worth of beloved furniture and knick-knacks she saw yesterday. Still I filled five trash bags with junk, plus one with household cleaning supplies to dispose of properly, and another with OTC meds. to recycle. A box of books to donate for re-sale to the Friends shop at the library, and a few small items I want to spirit away before the folks come to start an inventory of every paperclip, rubber band, and twist tie.

If you care to have any lamps, end tables, area rugs, speak up now. When N. was giving me the Cliff Notes version of estate dissolving, I did  not ask how long I might have to get anything I would want to keep out. Partially due to the fact that there is really not anything I particularly want  - it's all stuff, and I already want less of that! But there are some nice furnishings in that house, for the person who will: 'Speak Now, or Forever Hold Your Peace.'

No comments:

Post a Comment