Thursday, September 20, 2018

one of the things...

... that I am frequently thankful for is a variety of modern conveniences and the support system necessary to enjoy these appliances in frequent use around the household. I spent the day yesterday doing loads and loads of laundry. Due to digging into closets at my auntie and finding multiples and duplicates of linens: bed sheets and pillowcases. Some of which looked nearly new, barely washed and apparently hardly ever put on bedding for sleeping comfort. Others, the flat/top sheet and assorted pillow covers had been around a long time, though they were not threadbare from years of being in a washer and dryer. With handmade embellishments that brought back lots of memories.

I had a friend who often hung clothing to dry, as well as linens like bath towels and bed sheets: convinced that the thing that caused washables to wear over time is the abrasive nature of using that tumbling machine to speed the process of drying laundry. When you see how much lint accumulates in the screen, that you regularly empty and trash - you should think: I am throwing away my pants and shirts one ball of fluff at the time. Part of the reason she was so 'old school' in her ways is due to the fact that the electric dryer she had was out in a shed in her back yard, rather than conveniently situated adjacent to her washing machine. Part too was likely the the wonderful aroma of bed sheets that have been hung out on the clothes line. That delightful outdoor smell you enjoy when you lay your weary head on a pillowcase that spent the day in the bright sunshine and fresh air. The residual joy of bringing the out doors in.



Those sheets that came out of years of storage in my auntie's closet were old enough to be good quality, made of 100 percent cotton, instead of the blends you often find today. Funny how we choose to purchase things that we know are durable, but then don't use them so they won't wear out? That is surely one of the corollaries of Murphy's Law, along with 'your keys will be in the last place you look', since when you find them - you quit looking.

The thing about those linens carefully squirreled away all these years is not the DNA from my auntie, but that of her mom: my grandmother. Many of the sheets and cases are embroidered with my aunts' initials. Others have painstakingly hand-made lace that was hand-sewn along the edge of the top sheet, hand made by my grandmother. Now that's worth keeping! I am certain there will be looks askance, questioning facial expressions when anyone comes to visit and find themselves sleeping under pink-trimmed sheets, monogrammed with 'CLB'. So what? Lots of love in each stitch, guaranteed to provide a good night's rest.

I have things in  my house that my grandmother made over the years, most specifically at my request, that are framed and preserved for posterity. Embroidery and cross-stitched designs I look at every day. She was of that era to be resourceful: crafty, an excellent seamstress who made numerous outfits for family members, including Easter dresses and Birthday clothes for me beyond remembrance. Crocheting an endless stream of handy hot pot-holders, knitting sweaters and bedroom slippers by the dozens. Tatting miles of beautiful lace, for trimming those bed sheets and handmade curtains covering windows. Plus those hundreds of delicate lacy snowflakes crocheted with thread, made as ornaments given to decorate trees of friends, neighbors relatives at Christmas.

So, I spent the day looking at bed clothes, washing, drying, guessing at sizes, folding sheets and cases. Some I am compelled to keep, others I gave to a friend who will make use of them as liners for reusable bags she makes and gives away, donating to a non-profit organization, or just passing along to friends and neighbors in need. Guess the next generation will be going through my stuff years from now, wondering how/why I would treasure items that have a strange monogram, some mysterious initials they don't recognize, neatly embroidered on each one....

No comments:

Post a Comment