Thursday, September 13, 2018

the weather...

... specifically a massive hurricane out in the Atlantic, headed towards landfall in the next twenty four hours seems to have changed course. My original travel plans had me returning from VA to ATL late in the afternoon. Then I got a call suggesting I should consider negotiating to get out of the path of the storm, by changing my ticket to be back in GA earlier. Here in eastern Virginia, we have had practically no rain, zero effects from that 'monster' storm the weather trackers are obsessively monitoring.

But I will leave sooner than originally expected. Admittedly I bought tickets well over a month ago, in early August, in order to get a better price than could be had with making last minute reservations. With no way to know I would be putting myself in harm's way weeks ahead of purchase date. The only thing that could happen is the flight would be cancelled and I might be stuck in Virginia. So what then? You just have to figure it out, make alternative travel arrangements..

Transportation at airports closer in the direct path of the storm has ceased, flights in and out have been discontinued. And thousands of residents along the coasts, in low lying areas have been strongly encouraged to evacuate, head to higher ground. I would be ambivalent about leaving home, but aware of risks. I can say with near-certainty I would be one of those traveling inland. Photos on last night's news had all lanes of interstates, including east-bound, filled with cars heading away from coastal areas. Those encouraged to leave, captured on the news feed, griping about law enforcement insisting citizens make an effort toward self-preservation.

Upon hearing an interview on the radio about someone who had a home on a coastal island, complaining they had been flooded three times in three years, I want to question their sanity. Can you not see a pattern here? Are you completely unaware of the environmental talk of global warming and rising sea levels, melting icecaps? What did you think would happen when you built a house on the barrier island? Making me think this of that song I learned in Sunday School as a child, about the foolish man who built his house on the sand and ... guess what? Washed away!

No comments:

Post a Comment