Sunday, September 16, 2018

a call from the distant past...

... or more accurately: a friend I have not seen in years. A pleasant surprise. She lives in Washington State, so we do not often visit. I met her years ago, when her husband was in the Army, stationed at Ft. Benning. He continued a military career, though I don't know how many years he put in before retiring to move back to the northwest and return to civilian life.

Daughters and I went to visit several years ago, flying out to Seattle, where we were met by a cousin who, though we grew up in south GA together, lived in western Wash. state for many years. The cousin was actually just visiting too, and stayed with us at a very comfortable house owned by her parents who lived next door. The well appointed house, adjacent to her parent's home, was located on a tiny lake in the suburbs east of downtown Seattle: a beautiful setting, with a dock, canoe, patio that would make you feel like you were always on vacation if you were invited to come and stay.

The friend, E.P., called - out of the blue - last night. We've not talked in months, but it was good to hear from her. She has a daughter the same age as my oldest: we (the mothers) were in a child-birth class together. Now, that's a bonding experience for you! And had babies a short time apart, enjoyed a friendship for years before the family returned to the west coast. Being a military dependent, her first child was born on post at the military hospital, where no one gets coddled: after you deliver, you get up and change your own sheets.

My older-est daughter and I went to visit them when they were in upstate NY, while he was attending SUNY, at the behest of Uncle Sam. We toured the state, and went to Buffalo to see Niagara Falls, with two four-year-olds in tow. This was the trip that circled the Atlanta airport on our return: unable to land in a storm, diverted to Chattanooga to refuel, then returned after the bad weather had dissipated to get back home.

Oddly  - I had just written/mailed her a note: 'I have not seen your photo on a milk carton, so I guess you are still OK?' So it's uncanny, ironic that she would call last night, just to visit. Reporting that her daughter and grandchildren had been visiting from Norfolk. A very good time to NOT be on the Virginia Coast with 90 mph winds, 15 foot storm surge and 30 inches of rainfall, courtesy of Hurricane Florence. They were all at her mom's in that wonderfully relaxing, charmingly furnished, delightful house on the tiny lake, where little people probably would have been in the water from dawn until dark.

I might have invited myself to come for a visit again to Seattle, as I would love to see her. You know how I stay in motion, having become very adept at inviting myself? Not that I am necessarily assuming the 'Welcome' mat is always out. I do understand 'no'. But would much rather hear a counter-proposal than have the door shut on my nose.

P.S.Remember how Carol Burnett would always pull on her ear love at the end of each week's show? Sending a little message to her mom? This is for MM: hey! 

No comments:

Post a Comment