Monday, May 14, 2012

last sub. teaching job ...

I thought I was supposed to work at my little floral jobette today, but when I found that I was not otherwise occupied, I accepted what is likely the last school district job I will do for this school year. Actually - I thought the kids were finished in a week, and that next Monday would be the final day until they start back in September. But when I asked someone who was an Enforcer in the lunch room, I was told that they have two more weeks.

I was in a school on the south side of town, and replaced a second grade teacher. She is obviously very good at what she does, having been recently nominated by her peers as their Teacher of the Year from that school. So she is apparently very effective, and does better than average job of providing the instruction the eight-year-olds need to be fully prepared for as third grade students.

But it was a rough day. I sadly/clearly remember the attitudes and blantant disregard many students would show to substitute teachers all those many years ago when I was a grade schooler, and see that little has changed. Though I do think kids now are more disrespectful and come in with larger chips on their shoulders, having learned some unacceptable attitudes at home, that they put on every morning when they get dressed for a day in the classroom. Some probably come from homes that find their uncooperative, contemptuous behavior acceptable, but I fear what will become of these little people in a few years when they find that lack of courtesy puts them at such a disadvantage out in the real world, where they will be looking for employment and expecting to find people who will tolerate their lack of manners and civility.

I have heard about kids who turn into the 'class clown' to compensate for all manner of problems - personal, emotional, family issues, learning difficulties - and think I probably encountered one today. He was such a sweet guy, so well-spoken, so interesting to talk to, but so unwilling to focus on the assigned work. He could not keep his mind on the task at hand well enough to complete any of the work they were supposed to do today. So cute and funny - yet somehow distressing to think that even though is mom sent him to school to become a little better educated today, I do not think he learned anything.

And to top it all off - he left the room when his bus number was called, then came back, looking pretty upset,  saying he missed his bus. So we walked to the office to have the secretary phone his mom to come and get him. He probably got blessed out for that as well, when she had to stop what she was doing to come and pick him up. Then another teacher walked in and said: he missed that bus on purpose - I saw him out in the hallway when his bus was loading... So cute and funny, and such a trial.

No comments:

Post a Comment