Wednesday, November 24, 2010

'twas the day before Tksg....

The Creative Craft Fair at church went well. There were some who thought it was a great success, and some vendors who were disappointed with sales of their products. I did not sell much: only one of those papier mache frames found buyer, but three others found new homes. I decided I would have a raffle, and sell tickets for a dollar, and let the winner (one each hour) pick from several choices. So I kinda sorta gave away three besides the one someone liked enough to actually pay money for. I was not attending my business when it occured, and was surprised later when I found one had actually sold. That means in ten years, I have sold a total of: 2. (Which would lead one to think I may have some problems with my 'marketing plan'?that does not actually exist)

The raffling of the frames went well: I think I made about $50 bucks @$1 per ticket,plus a little more from the 'face-painting' booth on the side... I never intended for the painting of rainbows and rockets on little cheeks to actually make any any money, but for amusement only. And now have decided: if I am willing to put the effort into organizing a craft fair once a year for the next eight years, and I have about two dozen of the papier mache frames (I packed back in the boxes to bring home and store till next fall) I can raffle off three every year give them all away in no time at all!

I also tried to sell some really nice holiday bows that have been lingering around my house for several years, which I periodically get out of the box and fluff up in hopes of finding them a new home. But even at what I feel was a very reasonable price: no one was interested in having a new ribbon to decorate that same old tired wreath they drag down out of the attic and put up on the door every Christmas.

My original feeling about having the craft show was really just to give people in our congregation and community an opportunity to see what sort of talent we have, get to know people they attend church with every Sunday, and have never met because they sit on opposite sides of the building or attend services at different times. So, Yes, it was a success. I think at least half of the vendors were active members of CCC, and it was very interesting to see some of the things people do that we would have otherwise never known about. Lots of folks who make jewelry, people who make wooden picture frames from old barn wood, soap makers, folks who make and can their own salsa and pickles, lots of bakers/cooks, people who crochet hats and scarves, make tatted Christmas tree ornaments, makers of baby quilts and crochet afghans/throws, ink & ink artists, hand made greeting cards... a very diverse group...

And some were asking if we would be doing in again, wanting to sign up to do it again next year, so I guess I better go rest up.

Oh - and I did have someone who said she loved my hand made frames, and wanted to get several but was having a financial dry-spell, (due to not having a current sticker on her license plate, and having to buy the tag and pay a fine). I asked if she would be interested in putting them on lay-away and pay for them later. So if she does come through: I actually sold five!

No comments:

Post a Comment