Friday, March 19, 2010

what a bee-u-ti-ful day!

I had to go to Publix, in the dark (Thank you Congress, for the universal continent-wide time-change)at 7:00 a.m. But got off at 2:00 and went with my friend P. out in the country to dig up some clumps of gloriously blooming daffodils. I'd seen the bulbs blooming on the right-of-way earlier in the week, and knew how much she loves daffodils, so told her I knew where some 'free' ones were, if she wanted to go with me to get them. She said "we won't get shot or arrested, will we?" I assured her I had a LOT of experience at digging in the ditch from growing up in south Georgia. Places where you see them growing in big clumps around the foundations of caved in homesteads, or snuggled up to the base of a still-standing brick chimney with no house attached. Shades of Choppy: she lives in my genes...

You are all invited to my house to see the 'surprise lilies' blooming all over the lawn in a couple of weeks: courtesy of my Dad, who went with me to dig lily bulbs, several miles north of Q., while my children jumped up and down in terror of being transported to the hoosegow, while they watched the action from the back seat.

P. thought we were digging them for me to replant in my yard, but I told her 'wrong', so she's got more digging to do!


Which brings to mind story about the time my brother and I went off in the country, down a dirt road in Brooks County, in a pickup truck with a hand saw, when we were high-school age (old enough to know better, but foolish enough to not care) to 'borrow' a red cedar at Christmas..... a tale for another time...

What a beautiful day. I am compelled to go dig holes, though I know that nasty, tenacious, sticky, clay is too wet to dig. My little pea seeds finally decided to come up, so I am going to plant the rest of the packet,and can hardly wait to go hunker down in the back yard by the fence, out in the garden and eat them straight off the vine.

Went by the hardware store, and saw flats and flats full of 'starter' plants: peppers, tomatoes, stuff that was calling my name.... but without several little hispanic guys to get them planted, I resisted temptation.

What a beautiful day....
The sun is shining, the sky is blue, God is Good. And Always keeps His promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment