Monday, January 4, 2010

I'm Ready!

I have been really diligent for most of the past year (maybe not so much 'really', as I think 'eventually' is probably more applicable):

Keeping up with expenses for the IRS. I have a list of all the things that will be legit. deductions, and (though already questioned by my spouse) feel like I have the documentation to back it all up. I have been unusually conscientious about keeping receipts and noting volunteered hours/miles for work with non-profits.

I told him several days ago, as I was re-adding my numbers for the third time (as the math-impaired are prone to find necessary) that if ever we would be checked, this is going to be The Year. Due lots of changes in our lives. So hopefully, I'm prepared to meet Guys In Suits. I doubt they will be as entertaining as The Men In Black (Will Smith & Tommy Lee Jones freaking people out).

He has been doing some organizing for the past few days, and came in Sunday afternoon and to say: 'I'm ready'. So we await the paperwork that has to come in the mail, to deliver it all to the accountant.

There have been many, plenty, abundant occasions in life when I have been so anxious I could not function, dreading the future. But worrying about what IRS may or may not do, is not something that I plan to loose any sleep over. He recently admited to being a 'worry wart' (re: bad weather, a tree fallling on the roof, leaving Christmas tree lights plugged in, spontaneous fires in the clothes dryer, me traveling alone, me out after dark, me walking on the sidewalk, things he cannot possibly control), and amusingly, blamed it on his genetic history, saying his mother was The Queen of Worry-warts.

We all know what a great movitating factor Guilt can be, and how easily one gets swamped by generational 'coulda/woulda/shouldas': I won't say it's a 'resolution' but I am choosing to not go down that path. When I was dealing with issues related to family health problems years ago, I came to realize that there was only so much I was capable of doing/controlling and, sadly, surprised by discovering there would always be limitations to what I could do to impact/assist other people.

Over time, I came to the less than desirable realization, but very true fact (axiom? Murphey's Law addition?): "All you can do is all you can do". This applies to Life in general. But in this case my personal little 'truism' means that I can't fret over the tax guys in advance.

...and by the way - 'I'm Ready' for the Rapture too! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment