Wednesday, September 19, 2018

tasty...

... and almost as yummy as the first bite, even though it is always best-est when still warm from the oven. Oh, my goodness, it is so fine. And have you discovered that food always seems to be better when someone else has prepared it (with love, of course) and all you had to do was show up, sit down and pick up a fork? When you are blissfully unaware of the effort required as well as not being the one who will have to do KP afterward?

When I went to VA last week to visit, before we could even get back to the house from the airport, we purchased a bag full of fresh local'ish peaches. The sign claimed they were Virginia grown, and they did smell like summer: big, round, fat, fuzzy fruit as large as any I have seen from Georgia: The Peach State. My s-i-l had a recipe for a cobbler she decided to make, that turned out to be so taste-tempting we had Sin for Supper. Meaning: vanilla ice cream on top of still warm fresh, delicious homemade peaches baked into a super easy cobbler recipe.

The recipe when sat down, looked at the cookbook and talked about it reminds me of one I got from my grandmother many years ago. I expect I was a young teenager, starting to be aware of recipes, ingredients, where good food comes from: good cooks! The ingredients in the recipe I copied in VA are very similar to what I vaguely recall writing on a now lost bit of paper as grandma told me how to put it together. Equal parts of several things like sugar, flour, maybe milk or butter. I've looked, and cannot find that little scrap of yellowed paper containing the valuable information, and have not yet resorted to 'googling'.

I think you mix flour and sugar in equal amounts, then use a fork or pastry blender to cut in softened butter until crumb-like, sprinkle over fruit, put it in the oven. That's really non-specific. I have not given up on finding that magic concoction, and expect it is now in a hundred cook books by assorted personalities and media chefs. Ready to be reproduced, and shared by home cooks and the nearly famous all.

I cannot help but tinker with a recipe, providing small alterations to the original. Sorry. If that is my worst bad habit/compulsion, I think I am doing OK and will  not need medical attention or pharmaceutical assistance. Just a little improvement you can consider, or overlook entirely....

Fruit Cobbler
2 cups of cut up fruit: I used two 15 oz cans of sliced peaches. Drained and set aside. You can use apples, or whatever strikes your fancy, or seems to have been overlooked on your pantry shelf.
3/4 cup flour (I used self-rising, as that was what was on hand, so eliminated the salt and baking pow.
1 cup sugar (I only used 3/4, thinking I was duplicating grandmother's recipe?)
2 tsp. baking powder plus pinch salt - do not add if you use the self-rising flour
3/4 cup milk (almond or soy is what's in my fridge, so it wont' be from a cow)
Mix the above together, stirring well to break up clumps of flour that dont' want to get wet.
3/4 stick butter: melted in the dish you are going to cook it in. Why could it not be an iron skillet?
Pour the batter into the center of the pan, casserole dish, whatever you will bake your cobbler in. I used a 8x8 inch square Pyrex so I could melt the butter in the microwave. Pour in batter, then pour fruit over. Don't stir. Do Not Mix. Bake in 350 over for 1 hour. Serve with vanilla ice cream to add another thousand calories.

It's in the oven now. The second one. I told my s-i-l I was planning to go home and make it once a week. It's been two weeks, and peach cobbler # 2 will be out of the oven in half an hour - sadly there is no vanilla ice cream on hand...

No comments:

Post a Comment