Friday, September 21, 2018

before leaving...

...home, I made a concerted effort to get all the laundry done, everything in all the baskets washed and put away before loading the car to take off. It's anybodies' guess as to what it will look like when I return in just over a week. A pipe dream if I am thinking those baskets will be pristinely empty, as they were when I hit the road on Thursday morning. I am constantly reporting that "I am doing my best" to coworkers, so that seems to have become a mantra. And I cannot do anyone else's best so mine is all I can do!

Driving up to Decatur for lunch, before heading north to TN. I knew full-well I was putting everyone: me and all the others on I-85, in jeopardy when I got on the road about 2:00 p.m. after that sleep-inducing lunch I ordered - so much I could not eat it all. I had never in all my days, during my sheltered life of being a south GA bumpkin been to the famous "Mary Macs" restaurant to eat and rub elbows with the semi-rich and soon-to-be famous.

I can't say if it was all those tasty little corn muffins I consumed before the meal came, or that bowl full of fried okra, but I had to quit long before I was ready.  I could not put the excess in my pocket, so gave it to my cousin, hopefully she will eventually enjoy it. It would be seriously distressing if no one enjoyed that broccoli casserole I ordered and could not possibly eat.

On to TN, to spend the night and get up in the dark to head out for the airport. They tell me that the TSA line at that small regional location takes about two minutes on a slow day. I have lately been surprised at how inconsistent the requirements are from one location to the next. Some places: have you remove shoes and belts, put electronics on the conveyor belt for separate scanning. Others: you keep everything on, and leave your computer in the case, but empty your pockets. Some places are a breeze and some much more tedious, which should make us feel safer once we get in the air, knowing the bad guys are not traveling today.

I am wearing a brace on  my knee, held in place by Velcro, with a metal joint for flexibility. Enough metal to set off the scanners in every airport. I've learned to put the brace on outside my pants, so it is visible. This is often enough to get special treatment heading into TSA lines, along with people in rolling chairs needing assistance and families with stroller babies. Usually I am asked if I can take it off, to run it through the x-ray machine. Which I can, and do. Getting out on the other end much quicker, plus the special treatment of being shunted through that shorter line with the disabled and families with toddlers in tow.

No comments:

Post a Comment