Friday, October 5, 2012

but I did mean to work today...

After the most amazingly pleasant experience of substitute teaching on Wedesday, I was so enthused about spending the day with five-year olds, I got up this morning at 5:30 looking for more. I don't think it likely that everyone of the gazillion teachers in the county are all on the job ready for another day. So I guess all the people who wanted to find day-labor work got up at 5:15 to search online before the computer driven system began the process of filling vacancies at 6:00. The phone never rang - so apparently they have it covered. Without me.

I'm sure I can keep myself busy all day, with things I meant to do yesterday that didn't get done.

A number of plants in pots that I have been (more or less) faithfully kept watered for weeks, since it has been such a dry summer, needing to be put in holes.. I thought they would stand a better chance of surviving if I had them close by, in the shade, rather than putting them in the ground. Most look pretty good (except for the ones that don't, which means Murphey's Law is still in effect.) We've had enough rain recently that the normally un-diggable clay might be of the proper moisture/consistency to apply my shovel. Most of the things I have planted in recent months, the clay has been completely replaced with good healthy, enriched potting mix to try to give them a good start in growing roots to get established. Plus frequent waterings: 'it takes a village' to help newly planted flowers to survive a blistering summer with mostly insufficient rainfall.

No comments:

Post a Comment