Tuesday, April 24, 2012

working at a paying job...

Spent two long tiring days last week at Publix. I had kinda forgot about 'prom season'. Being years past the chaos (masked as anticipatory excitement) of participating as a vouyer when daughters were of that age, it's not often thought about. Add that to the fact that for a while, early in the year, I rarely thought of myself as gainfully employed at all, due to not being scheduled to work for several weeks running: I had planned other things into my life and calendar.

But 'Plan A' for this past weekend did  not pan out. So I made myself available to work in the Floral Shoppe. Which reportedly did about $1500 worth of flowers for teenagers to fling around at the dance. That's a lot of wee little sweet-heart-sized roses worn on a lot of little elastic wrist-bands with a lot of sparkly, frou-frou dresses to a lot of different proms on a Saturday night.

The whole time I was trotting from the front of the store in the Floral Shoppe to the back produce cooler to retrieve completed work as customers arrived for pick-up, I was thinking: wish I had a pedometer. The poor weary footses felt like they walked twenty miles when I finally clocked out. But I have dropped two on the tile floor in the bathroom, and refuse to invest in another one to break.

After all those weeks of 'no work', and practically forgetting about employment, it seems to be pretty steady: a couple of days each week. That should keep me in gas money so I can run around all over town and up and down the state on the days I am not punching the clock!

No comments:

Post a Comment