Sunday, April 1, 2012

crazy-making road trip...

It's not the smartest thing I have ever done: but it seemed like a good idea at the time. After not seeing any space on my calendar where it would be possible to make an overnight trip to south GA (have not been since mid-January) and feeling the need to go... I decided to take complete leave of my senses and do it in one day. This foolish thought from the person who deliberately decided months, if not years, ago that attempting to make the six hour drive in one day was excessive and unusual punishment, especially when self-inflicted. Not particularly willing to admit to the possibility that age is a factor, but it seems to take me several days to get over doing something that exhausting.

It is not even the craziest trip: I once drove to Savannah/Tybee, south to Quitman and back to Columbus in one day. I probably left Georgia's west coast before daylight (a four hour drive from west to the east coast), and did not get back home to fall into bed until about 11:00. And it was years ago when I had much more tolerance for 'candle burning' than now. Once the end of the adventure was in sight, I was ready to get it over with - which is the best explanation I can come up with for driving about fourteen hours in one day.

Sadly, I  report the fact that 'old people don't sleep good' (in spite of a variety of OTC drugs purporting to improve that woeful situation.) I try not to be surprised when, after going to bed at 10 pm, wide-eyed awake-ness occurs at 2:13, with me thinking 'it is time to get up and get busy'. Then turn over and look at the green digital numbers to see it has only been a couple of hours since switching off the bedside light.

I did set the alarm clock for 4:00, so I could get my ducks in a row and get in the road by 5:00. But I woke up at 3:00, lying there unable to turn my brain off. So after thirty minutes thinking about all the things I  needed to do before I could get going - I got up and started 'doing'. I left home about 4:30, and had an uneventful trip driving in the dark.

I really do enjoy seeing the sky begin to color up, and the trees starting to take shape on the horizon out past the fields and pastures, looming out of the dark. It is such a neat thing to see the world begin to wake up, as the sun rises and the sky, then landscape slowly lightens, takes on color and form out of the darkness. And there is no place like south Georgia in the spring.

It was a good day, I saw some people I really wanted to visit, and did actually get a wee bit of yard work done (weed pulling and spraying), before driving another three hours to get back home. I think it only took me two days to fully recover... and I am ready to go again!

Oh.... did I say I got a speeding ticket on the way back? #%@&

No comments:

Post a Comment