Sunday, March 25, 2012

still going 'in the hole' with the bulb digging business

I am still getting a bit of interest with the spider lily bulbs. Advertising on Craig's List with some help from my tech. support team, adding a clip-art photo to make the offer a little more colorful and tempting. I actually got a call on my way to church from a guy just across the river who said his wife wanted to get two dozen, which is kinda surprising, since I have increased the price considerably. I don't think I would pay nearly a buck each for them, but suppose since the price of Every-stinking-thing is going up like crazy, inflation is not unexpected in the Spider Lily bulb business.

I know I made a mistake with the first ones I shipped away, paying 'way more for postage to send to the far side of the state than I charged: but some of the folks who remembered them from long ago wanted so many, I might have made a bit. A couple of people wanted five or eight dozen, and even with foolishly under-charging for mailing, it was likely not a loss, since there was no 'overhead' while the bulbs patiently grew/multiplied sitting around out there underground for twenty years. The price started at $5 (+ $1 postage) in the Market Bulletin, and has gone up to $9 (+$5) on Craig's list. And I think there must be a thousand out there, patiently waiting to be dug and divided...

(I've just been out in the nearly dark planting rescued, bloomed out daffodil bulbs.)

This will add a note of hilarity to the people who remember a story about walking down the sidewalk with relatives in Pensacola many years ago: When I was out digging up two dozen to leave for a 'customer' to pick up Saturday morning, my glasses fell in the hole. I grabbed them up, stuck them in my pocket, and finished the dirty work, counting out bulbs for the man who was going to stop by and get them later. It was a hurried project, I was running late as usual: did not realize until I got back in the house that one of the lens from my glasses was missing. Obviously fell out in the hole?!?! I am sad to report that I did not find it when I went rooting about in the dirt late yesterday afternoon: but where else could it be? I will look again in the bright light of Monday morning... tragedy....

Both my dad and granddad reluctantly told stories on themselves about burying glasses in holes when doing yard work: hope it is not genetic/hereditary? I will be really sad if I have to keep going around squinting, but guess I could get a black patch and say: 'argghhh, matey', and 'ahoy there'!

No comments:

Post a Comment