Friday, June 24, 2011

a 'little' local wild life phenomena

We were sitting at the table one Sunday seveal weeks ago, having lunch after church, when I looked out the window across the screened porch to see a young, spotted fawn walk across our yard. Probably within ten feet of the house. Amazing. Not at all unlikely, since our lot is very wooded, and backs up to an even greater area/acreage that is densely wooded. And we have seen deer close to the house before. Actually had to call animal control once years ago when we found a dead deer out on the edge of the lawn that had apparently been hit by a vehicle the night before.

I decided the fawn (and all the wildlife) must be desperate for water, so went out with a container that I have been keeping full of water, placed near the edge of the woods. I have  not seen any activity, other than the curious cats drinking, but hope that someone is enjoying it. I go out every couple of days and replace with clean, fresh water when I drag the hose around to try to keep a few plants alive, but  not the grass: which recovered remarkably after a recent thunderstorm: it was blue-ish colored from drought-stress ealier this week, and now needs mowing!

We have had a couple of good rains in the past couple of days, but many have  not... it being severely dry in areas where agriculture is prevelant. I saw lots of fields of stunted, deyhdrated, desperate crops when I drove to south GA. And know there are so many families out there whose livlihood depends on crops, and the whims of nature - which, now that I think of it: we All 'depend' on those people who are dependent on farming for livlihoods. So we should all be praying for rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment