Thursday, June 3, 2010

it's all done (mostly)

All the people who were coming and going and coming again to do the de-constructing and renovating are finished. When the people who are supposed to get here over the weekend to get her belongings I have been holding in 'free storage' for several years arrive to pack up all that and move into the New Home in TN, I will feel like I am getting it all under control.

It has been an interesting process. I recall reading stories of people doing home renovations, or advice columns for folks who were considering additions and discovering that they should: realize the work will take 'half again' as long as expected, and they should be prepared to pay 'half again' as much as they estimate it will cost. I thought: 'that's odd/funny'. It's neither odd or funny, but has been very Educational.

We had guys come yesterday to clean carpets and ductwork. So, hopefully, it's safe to actually start moving things back to the places I hope they will stay indefinitely. That means all the furniture I have moved from one room to another as the flooring has been replaced, and from one end of the house to the other as carpet as been cleaned can go back to where it was to start with, and begin to collect dust again.

There is a room with nearly no furniture (just a table and a chair) that looks so nice and clean, I am reluctant to put things back! But I know it won't be long before I start to hear: "When are you planning to do something in 'there'?" At that point, I will just open the closet door and let it all fall out into the floor!

I could still use a commercial dumpster parked in the driveway for a day or two, but it would have to be when I was home alone. (Read between the lines.) We are getting down to the nitty-gritty of things that are/aren't disposable, meaning it is getting harder and harder to be willing to part with things, unless you are in the right frame of mind for 'rid-ding', where you can say: It's All stuff!

Open invitation: come see me! It looks brand new (except for all the old stuff.... and people...)

No comments:

Post a Comment