Sunday, May 9, 2010

so... how's 'cheerfully unemployed' workin' for ya'?

When I made the decision to quit the job that was a constant heartache and drag, nearly two yeras ago, it took me about (snap) that long to get to the point of knowing that I would rather be unemployed than miserable. So I have enjoyed the recent months of Early Retirement and telling people who ask that I am currently Cheerfully Unemployed. But that's not 100% accurate: the 'unemployed' part is fudging -only a bit.

I have been able to hang on to the Publix job by a slim, frayed thread. The floundering economy has had a big impact on grocery sales at the place that 'is not cheap'. As a part-timer, at the lowest (below ground level) point on the totem pole, at the tail end of the pecking order, when the schedulers run short on payroll, I am the one who takes it on the chin. So there have been months when I would work four hours: we are talking 4 hours per 30 days. Just enough to keep me active, to not get dropped off the computer that manages the accounting system. It was a struggle to keep up my game face and go in to work as a bagger/carry-out 'geezer' with a good attitude. (And admittedly there were times when the positivity must have flown out the window on the way down Macon Road, as I could not find it when I pulled up in the parking lot and clocked in for a four hour shift.)

But lately, with a change in middle-managers, and a new, young, go-getter, enthusiastic, high-energy (probably ADD) guy as the big dog in the produce department, I have been working three or four days a week for the past month. Mostly in the floral area, but some doing the onerous work of salad making or melon chopping. It's prom season, and wedding season, and miscellaneous holidays and graduation and vacation time. (I'm thinking M. has so diligently earned many vacation/paid holidays, he could finagle his way into a four day work week for most of the year with just a modicum of forethought and planning/effort!??)

Nice to get a paycheck that actually jingles in my pocket instead of the ones were so miniscule they were hardly worth the gas it took to go and pick them up!

I've been so busy I fear I will get dropped out of the substitute teaching computer for not accepting any 'day labor' jobs! Which is probably not the worst thing that could happen, except it is such a stinking hassle to get back into the program. If they are so desperate for subs., why do they make it such an aggravating process to get into the system? I recently discovered that there are so many unemployeds trying to get work as subs., the MCSD will not accept anyone who has less than a Master's degree into their pool. Those already accepted, un-degree'd are 'grandfathered', but the school system has decided they won't accept apps. from people with 'only' undergrad. Wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment