Saturday, May 8, 2010

more hole digging 'therapy'

I have had such a productive day. I got those gazillion little tomato plants that have been struggling, exhausted, limp, leggy, yellowing in pots, competing with one another for nutrients, desperate to stay alive: in the ground.

A couple of years ago I decided to dig up a strip of that hard, tenacious, ornery orange virtually 'un-diggable' clay along the property line that is about the only full sun location in the yard, replace with real dirt so I could plant tomatoes and then tie them up to the chain link fencing instead of staking. I mixed lots of good stuff in, thought it is actually pretty decent dirt from all the mulch I keep adding and turning over. I am hoping the adddtion of: osmocote, lime and something that is supposed to make nematodes say 'ick', make a U-turn and head for Alabama, stirred up together will produce a good crop.

There will be lots of suprises in store: I have NO idea what kind of tomatoes to expect from all those many wee plants. All 'donations' and mixed up, so we will have an interesting time watching and waiting to see what happens. A couple of plants that were rescued from Publix and sat in pots by the front door for a month, got in the ground a week ago, are already producing: fruit the size of the end of your thumb. Get out the mayo. and white bread!

I planted some peas weeks ago, though don't recall if the see packet was 'English' or 'snow', and I notice they are trying to make a crop. But every time I see a little pod, I pick it and open it up to discover two or three or four little bright green peas that I immediately practice my 'quality control' skills on: so no peas yet.

And some climbing beans that I was told would be so prolific I could expect nearly overnight results, and anticipate someone named 'Jack' to come along asking if I need any help to shinny up the beanstalk. Fortunately I did not have to trade a cow or any cats for the bean seed, though the possibility of seeing the twining vines shooting up into the clouds seems imminent.

No comments:

Post a Comment