Wednesday, February 20, 2019

finding internet, part 3...

... when rolling along the city streets, and seeing a little campaign-sized sign for "Internet -39.99" with a number to call. I quickly grabbed my pen and wrote it down before the light changed, and made the call when I got home. Who answered? 'Edward'. I assumed a company who was trying to lure me into a package, that would give me what I wanted, then attempt to boost the price with add-on frou-frou. But it was only 'Edward'. Who is working for WOW on commission. He reported he had put the signs out to drum up business, which is, I suppose, a great way to increase your income or get votes.

I could not even recall what company this was, before seeing panel/work trucks all over town with WOW decals plastered on the sides. They used to be Knology, remember? We talked, he said they really could provide residential, high-speed internet for about forty bucks a month (plus rental on modem). I said sign me up. Then he wanted my address. I told him and he said he knew the company supplied service to a public golf course nearby. Oh, yay! That made me even more confident I had solved the over-priced wi-fi problem, and could now get what I wanted at a price I wanted.

He called me back to report that he cannot help. No service on my side of the street. Really?  I had even shared the amusing story of taking my lap-top to the repair shop for service, amazed and delighted when bumped to the head of the line. I told the receptionist the only thing I knew was that the 'blog will not publish', and when she heard that, she assumed I was running a business! Great amusement for me, but no argument when she promised fast attention. The call to pick it up came within hours, and I thought the problem had been resolved. So sorry,all you blog readers out there, as well as so very aggravating that is not yet healthy. But the experience of going to the repair shop was also somewhat useful, when I could report to 'Edward' the tale of my conflated enterprise, who then attempted to get me hooked up with service as a 'business'.

Causing me to ponder what a huge can of worms that would be if I attempted to get a business license, involving questions about zoning, major tax ramifications, as well as a huge pain in the sitter. I laid in bed early one morning and considering the idea of a license which took off down a number of ill-advised rabbit trails, causing me to stuff that plan into the bottom of the trash can, hopefully permanently hiding it from discovery.

No luck with WOW, either residential or business. I am now pondering the likelihood of inviting myself to hook up with the neighbors who do have WOW. Necessary to run their cash registers and computers, and if they would share the password, I would not be greedy.  That would make me really happy, to have access when they do not need it at night, and the price would be excellent as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment