Wednesday, February 13, 2019

a bug in the blog...

... caused it to not go out into the universe when I finished composing and was ready to print. I cannot explain any better, because I do not understand it myself, so not able to provide information about something that is explained in a foreign language: computer speak. I thought I could get it fixed for free, and was hoping that a guy I know who is a whiz might help with resolving the problem. Hoping for a middle man to supply contact info., to no avail, I moved on to plan B.

Not the solution. Plan B. involved trying to get a kid who helps with tech stuff at church to figure it out. He thought I should buy a virus protection plan. I was reluctant, but also desperate. When I had a  problem some years ago, I was told that the 'plans' are nearly worthless, just a way to lure innocents into thinking they are defending their devices from being swarmed by evil-doers. I was lead to believe that the programs you put on your electronics will have enough protection built in that any extra security is superfluous. So I was happy to not be paying for stuff I did not want, or need all this time.

Until the kid made me think the way to solve the 'won't publish' problem was to pay for a one year subscription to Macafee. So I did. But when I got home and completed the installation process, I was no better off - still had that warning. Danger, Will Robinson, danger, danger!

I decided I should take it to the experts. Was going to the computer shop on my lunch break: closed, possibly forever, but definitely today, as the gate was padlocked. A co-worker had suggested another repair shop down the street, so I thought: might as well. I went in groveling, begging and saying lots of pitiful things to try to get them to drop everything profitable they were doing to devote all their attention and resources to ME. All I knew to say: the blog won't publish.

I don't know what happened, other than to say to my way of thinking it was a miracle. They called mid-afternoon, and reported it was ready for me to pick up. If you can purchase an actual miracle for $99, you should probably consider putting several on lay-a-way, so you can have plenty available when the need arises. I hope the problem is solved.



No comments:

Post a Comment