Friday, February 8, 2019

back in...

... Valdosta today, for the third time in less than a week. Here last Saturday when the auntie was transported to the ER, then admitted to the hospital. You know nothing happens in hospitals on the weekend, so that was an exercise in futility. They will feed you, record your vital signs, provide Rx as ordered, but unless there is a dire situation, do little more than maintain the status quo.

Finally made progress when I went back on Monday morning, hoping to have her transferred to an  inpatient hospice program. No beds available. Now what? A nurse recalled being able to return patients to the facility she came from once a hospice worker made an assessment. Yay. She went right back to where she came from two days prior. Under hospice care - which astounded  me, as I did not have any reason to think they would allow someone of her 'iffy' status.

In retrospect, I can imagine they have people who come in the front door in relatively good health, just needing some support and meals provided to continue to live independently. As well as residents who cannot live on their own, due to health concerns or mental instability.Then they continue to decline, or the natural process of aging will incrementally demonstrate there is a need for a higher level of care to manage daily needs.

The auntie was back in a place where the staff knew her, cared for her needs, and was available to assist. She died this morning. The disease that affected her father, brother and sister overwhelmed her system. I cannot tell any more because I don't know any more. I do know she is at peace, no longer struggling with something she cannot control, or frustrated with not being able to assert her strong will and force the change she would desire.

I told someone earlier in the week that IF I knew then what I know now, I would never have let her be admitted to the hospital, never allowed them to keep her there for three days. If I had known she was so close to the end, I would not have even let them deliver her to the ER, but left her in the place where the staff knew and cared for her, was available to help with anything she needed. This is a prime example of what my mom would refer to as 'twenty-twenty hindsight'.If I only knew then what I know now....

No comments:

Post a Comment