Sunday, February 10, 2019

dozens and dozens...




... of daffodil bulbs I planted in the past week or so: mostly dug up by culprits who obviously thought they might be good to eat.  I do not know if the evil-doers were squirrels or chipmunks, maybe raccoons or armadillos, who knows? When I went out in the yard this afternoon, to admire the bulbs that have started to bloom, showing off their early spring colors, I found many of the great big fat bulbs laying around on the leaf mulch near the holes I had so laboriously dug. Adding some good rich black potting soil and a sprinkle of fertilizer to boost growth to give them a good start, then inserting the bulb and covering with soil, leaf mulch. Just unearthed and left there, ignored...

I have to wonder if the little sneaks were sitting up in the trees watching while I was out there jumping up and down on the shovel, pushing the barrow around the yard, deciding where the next series of holes for ready-to-sprout bulbs should be located. I suspect they were hiding behind various tree trunks, chortling, waiting for me to go around the corner of the house so they could jump in and start pawing up the dirt, anticipating a delicious meal. The daffodils were obviously not to their liking, as I had to replant dozens of bulbs today. Aggravating, but I am thankful their lunch choice was not appealing and they left the rejected items close by to be put back in the holes again.

The ones that were gloriously blooming are some that were planted some years ago. Probably, as best I can recall, some of the ones that were rescued from work, where they were potted in a far-away greenhouse, forced to bloom out of season, and headed for the dumpster. I'm thinking the ones I saw today were a delightful surprise as my dad said (with great certainty): 'bulbs, once forced to bloom early, will never perform well when planted in the yard'.

I love the tiny ones, with the petite little 'cups and saucers'. Often found in florist shops planted in containers with an assortment of other bloomers, combined in the fashion of a spring dish garden. Surprised they have recovered from the greenhouse mistreatment well enough to be showing signs of an early spring out in the leaf mulch at my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment