Tuesday, May 1, 2018

church in the yard, part 2...

... is what I found when I got home from the week recently spent in Virginia. About that trip: I had tickets to go, but spur-of-the-moment decided to go days earlier, after receiving a call from my sister- in-law with markedly bad news about deteriorating condition of my brother. That tale does not have a happy ending, but I will not go into it here as the report on that situation happened weeks ago.

My co-worker, the guy who gets so much enjoyment from the visible improvements he sees after spending the morning mowing, trimming, raking, brought a variety of potted plants for me to get my own version of 'therapy'. I have tried a number of times over the years we have worked together to persuade him to go with my family to church, but he has declined. Except for last Easter, when I was very surprised when he showed up and greeted me at the early service.

He and I have often talked of how satisfying it is to dig holes, plant things, get projects finished out doors when you can easily see the result of your labor, and the good feeling  have when your accomplishments are readily visible. I've long promoted the effects of hole-digging and weed-pulling as the best therapy ever.  Not only is the process gratifying as you enjoy sunshine and exercise, the digging and inserting a seed or plant gives the opportunity to optimistically expect beauty or even food! As you observe it sprout, grow and possibly produce fruit or vegetables. 

I have put most of the things he brought and left by my front door as an offering of condolence to give me an excuse to dig and plant. Most have been put in pots across the front of the house, that already had a variety of plants installed - mostly herbs that are green, growing, and draping over the sides of various terracotta planters. A pot full of purple petunias went in a hanging basket I can see from the table where I sit and type. I am optimistic it will be attractive to hummingbirds, with those trumpet shaped blooms, and hope I can keep it watered to bloom all summer. Another plant, with hundreds of wee little blooms is in a planter right be the front door, where it already looks thirsty, so I need to give them all a drink.

A couple of daisy plants, one white and one yellow await planting, due to the fact that I have not decided where they should go.  Along with a pink splash, that I will put in a container and let it grow near the front door. I had one several years ago, in a pot near the front door, which surprised me by surviving the winter, to be just as pretty and colorful the second summer. Plus they are really easy to pinch off and root, when they start getting too big, so you can have more to plant or share.

Thanks to the guy who chooses to look at life as a glass that is Half Full. It has been excellent therapy!

No comments:

Post a Comment