Friday, May 4, 2018

a genius idea....

... that came from my own personal brain, that I completely forgot about, only to be reminded by a dear friend. I told my family some years ago that I did not want them to buy me anything for gift-giving occasions. I don't want any more jewelry, clothing, collectibles, things that I will have to find some place to put. Nothing that will accumulate in my house and life. If we cannot eat it, I don't want it.  Or Fun. I am always up for Fun.

That was not something that is easy to hear: when you want to do something for someone you care about, I think we all tend to spend. Birthday cards, various superfulous presents, or cake and ice cream. I readily admit I do it too - but have figured out a way to combine giving attention to commemorate a special day with not actually forcing an unwanted gift on the recipient: Cheap cards from Just-A-Buck with a gift card enclosed for something good to eat. We all gotta eat, right?  Some place mildly amusing like Dairy Queen or Chic-fil-A, where you can actually get the ice cream which is a vital part of celebrating.

So, no 'stuff', ok? But what you can do, if you feel compelled to spend your money: donations. To most any place that depends on the generosity of strangers.  Any reputable charitable organization that tugs at your heart, makes you feel you have invested in changing the world. They will send a card of acknowledgment, make you feel good, the honored feel good, and you will be doing good!

This friend remembered some years ago when I was busily trying to convince my family about my personal 'theory of gifting' I suggested they should support the library and literacy programs. I heard about the Ferst Foundation (POB 1327, Madison, GA 30650) years ago, and thought it a great way to support efforts to encourage children to love books and reading. Helping kids who have brains that absorb knowledge like sponges learn the basics of surviving in the world. Learn what those mysterious symbols on cereal boxes and road signs mean. I have sent funds earmarked as donations to honor individuals a number of times over the years. Showing my commitment to help provide little people with books, develop a life-long love of the printed word.

If you want to do something kind, generous, thoughtful and make the world a better place: do what Sharon did. Encourage a child to learn how to read! Literacy might save the world. Send a donation to the Brooks County Public Library, 404 Barwick Rd., Quitman, GA 31643. 

No comments:

Post a Comment