Saturday, March 2, 2019

coalescing:...

...'to unite or grow together, to come together for a common purpose'. It came to mind when reading an article in a recent TIME magazine, about popular media. Written by Judy Berman (who might be a media critic) after viewing an FX show, the comedy 'Better Things'.  I wrote down a portion of a sentence to ponder.

Not being a consumer of any video or action packed media, I do not know what the program or show or series is about, but reading piqued my interest. Not enough to go back to Mediacom and sign up for cable, but some small degree of curiosity. I just recently went through a convoluted process of finally getting them to take everything off that can be seen on the big screen television that sits on the shelf in my house.

You know I am the person who lives with electronic devices I do not know how to use, cannot even turn it on. I do not see any point in paying over $100 every month for something I don't use. My house is not the place to visit, with the expectation we will sit and watch TV. I can read, or put stuff on the blog (which lately cannot be accessed by my admirers as it has some sort of dread bug I have not figured out how to destroy/remove/cleanse.) Also there is the option of just going to bed, which is often a very good choice in order to be at work at five or six a.m.

The quote, excerpted from a short two column article by J. Berman: ..."you don't notice narratives coalescing until they are fully formed." Made in reference to the story line as scriptwriters brainstorm for a broadcast program on FX. But it made me think about: Life. How we don't see things coming together in mundane daily occurrences, until we have the vantage point of being able to look back on situations and circumstances and observe that 'coming together'. You might want to attribute that unexpected confluence to harmonic convergence. You might believe in luck, or just happenstance.

You might choose to believe something to be preordained, as it was simply inevitable. Or in a more negative mode, you would think yourself to be in an equally inevitable situation of feeling doomed, with no  hope of delivery, but none-the-less a series of events leading to a foreordained destiny. Either a positive outcome or a negative one, still it is what happens when you believe the fortune cookie: Fate.

Not me. I believe a power far greater than humans has influence in our lives. The Great Mystery (a term often found in use by Native Americans to explain the unexplainable) leads us in our daily lives, pointing us towards a future we are not yet prepared to examine or understand.  We plod through our lives daily, with our heads down, looking at our feet, rarely seeing the wonders of our surroundings, seldom lifting our eyes to look at the miracles each day presents. When you see the dependably returning miracles of spring, how can you not believe in God?

The wording may be a little off, as I cannot quote directly, but this is from a Tony Hillerman book: 'If you think things happen at random, you are looking at life from the wrong perspective'. So - I am convinced every thing happens for a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment